Tuesday, March 6, 2018

week 3



Remember how Paul..the same Paul who wrote Philemon..used the "S" word in Philippians 3?  In the original Greek he used the word "skubala," which your class Bible translates "rubbish,"  but the word is much close to the English S-word.  More on that word use here
Oh, here's a link to buy the T shirt (or bib or hat..or)
--HMMM:

John Knox (at Univ of Chicago) thought Archippus (not Philemon) was the slave-owner and that Paul publicly shamed Archippus into forgiving Onesimus (see Col 4:17)… link
--
LETTER TO PHILEMON ...OR ARCHIPPUS?

Knox offered a completely different reconstruction of the occasion for the letter identifying the master as Archippus who was the host of the church mentioned in verse one, and Philemon as the one to plead reinstatement of Onesimus. He considers the epistle of Philemon to be the letter from Laodicea in Colossians 4:16, and the exhortation for Archippus to “fulfill his God-given ministry” (Col. 4:17) to be the request of Paul concerning Philemon (see John Knox, “Philemon” in The Interpreters Bible, vol. xi [New York, 1955], pp. 555ff; Knox,Philemon among the Letters of Paul: A New View of its Place and Importance; Guthrie, NTI, pp. 635-638; Bruce, Paul: Apostle, p. 401-406; O’Brien, Philemon, pp. 267-268).  link



--

Headsup One of the best ways to PRACTICE interpreting a text is by doing in class something you do all the time:
Interpreting the text of a song/music video..especially when you can "Venn it" with two versions.
Notes from previous cohorts on the 2 versions of the song:

 



    Songs as text: 



    TEXT reading practice.. Song interp ..
    Sleep Like a Baby version 1

    Morning, your toast
    Your tea and sugar
    Read about the politician’s lover
    Go through the day
    Like a knife through butter
    Why don’t you
    You dress in the colours of forgiveness
    Your eyes as red as Christmas
    Purple robes are folded on the kitchen chair

    You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
    In your dreams everything is alright
    Tomorrow dawns like someone else’s suicide
    You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight

    Dreams
    It’s a dirty business, dreaming
    Where there is silence and not screaming
    Where there’s no daylight
    There’s no healing, no no

    You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
    In your dreams everything is alright
    Tomorrow dawns like a suicide
    But you’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight

    Hope is where the door is
    When the church is where the war is
    Where no one can feel no one else’s pain

    You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
    In your dreams everything is alright
    Tomorrow dawns like a suicide
    But you’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
    Sleep like a baby tonight
    Like a bird, your dreams take flight
    Like St. Francis covered in light
    You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight

 "Sleep Like A Baby   ALTERNATIVE PERSPECTIVE VERSION

In the morning when you wake up

You won’t have much
But you’ll have enough
When you are weakest
I’ll be strong enough for you

Dreams
Yeah, the ones where you are fearless
Can’t break what’s broken
You are tearless
Steal back your innocence
That’s what they stole from you

You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
Not everything can be so black and white
There are demons in the broad daylight
But you can sleep like a baby tonight

Stop
Where you stand right now
Just stop
Don’t think or look down at the drop
The people staring from the street
Don’t know what you’ve got

You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
No, not everything can be so black and white
There are demons in the broad daylight
But you can sleep like a baby tonight

Hope is where the door is
When home is where the war is
Where nobody can feel no one else’s pain

You’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight
Not everything can be so black and so white
There are demons in the broad daylight
You’ve got to sleep like a baby tonight
Sleep like a baby tonight
Where you stand
Where you fall is where I kneel
To take your heart back to where you can feel
Like a child, a child
--------------------




Remember what Robert Brewer taught us about patterns?

___
==

Here's the classic book for nurses I gave away tonight.
Two people won it; it's recommended for all.  Order here .



extra credir followut

Great guesses, but the answer was ...click here.

Jaynie got it!
A big word for both Bible classes.
Be thinking bout what it means.
Maybe even click this to ask what it means in PHILEMON..

--------------------------------


a


----------------------------
What''s the core message of Jesus?

Here's what cohorts usually answer:

Here's what one cohort said:

Note: I added the word Kingdom at the top, as no one said it.  And only once in almost ten years of classes,
only one stident ever said it...and he was Jewish.  Here he is.








Watch the first 1:45 of this video to review what I said.  







--

Timelines: Wow, powerful time hearing your life timelines.  Here they are below, and we'll give the rest of you a chance next week.

Another cohort


Remember  this one from another cohort? "Demise"? Left me speechless:






Peter Popoff. Prep for your TV assignment:
    

==


How did you like these two example videos of leaders?
How did you interpret these two texts?  We watched the first one tonight; the second one last week.
What did I mean by saying Jim Standrige was a GREAT PERSON?
  



ONE GREAT PERSON SURVEYS


Typical cohort results:



My Dack Rambo story?  Why did I say Wayne Stewart was GREAT? Click here  to read all about it:dackrambophoto1.jpg (1116×1416) 


























 we apply some "Three Worlds" theory to Matthew 18 and the topic of "Who is great?"

As we study, apply as many literary world symbols as you can

A video on that chapter featuring Keltic Ken: 



Related outtakes:



Of LITERARY WORLD note:








  • -


Of Historical World note:








    • What did you learn about a millstone ? ( notes at 
    W

    this (click)


    • Review: Why did we say the missing  sheep/ suicidal student was temporarily greater than the rest of us?
    • Watch this for my answer:

    Page 19 of Syllabus,Matthew 18 Outline
    (by Greg Camp/Laura Roberts):

    Question #1: Who is Greatest?

    2-17 Responses (each are counter proposals):

    2-10 Response #1: Children
    2-4 Counter Proposal: Accept children
    5-9 Threat: If cause scandal
    10 Show of force: Angels protect

    12-14 Response #2: Sheep
    (Who is temporarily greater?)
    12-14 Counter Proposal: Search for the 1 of 100 who is lost

    15-17 Response #3Brother who sins (counter proposal)
    15a Hypothetical situation: If sin
    15-17 Answer: Attempt to get brother to be reconciled
    17b If fail: Put him out and start over

    18-20 Statement: What you bind or loose

    21-22 Question #2How far do we go in forgiveness?

    23-35 Response #1Parable of the forgiving king/unforgiving servant
    ----------------Read verses 15-17 and then ask yourself:
    "What did it mean in their historical world to treat  people like




    "tax collectors and sinners?"
    Two answers

    1)Don't allow them in your bounded set.

    2)How did Jesus treat  tax collectors and sinners? In a centered set way. Tony Jones writes: 


    but because anyone, including Trucker Frank, can speak freely in this  church, my seminary-trained eyes were opened to find a truth in the Bible that had previously eluded me.”...That truth emerged in a discussion of Matthew 18's "treat the unrepentant brother like a tax collector or sinner.":
    "And how did Jesus treat tax collectors and pagans?" Frank asked aloud, pausing, "as of for a punchline he'd been waiting all his life to deliver,"....., "He welcomed them!""



    Thanks for the stories you told about annoying people at work!
    Why don't we put those people on our "great persons" list?
    Remember the guy who molested my son?
    Why is he not on my list?
    Does Matthew 18 suggest that Jesus said:
    children, lost sheep AND SINNING PEOPLE were great?  


    --



    Alternate text for signature.  Remember what you thought after reading this?  What if you had to write on the message/meaning of this text?  Is it a journal of severe stress?  Is it a worship song?  Both (Fuzzy "yup")?  What do think about the title of the song it is to be to be sung to the tune of??

    Psalm 22 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

    Psalm 22

    Plea for Deliverance from Suffering and Hostility

    To the leader:  to be sung to the tune of "The Deer of the Dawn." A Psalm of David.

    My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
        Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
    O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
        and by night, but find no rest.
    Yet you are holy,
        enthroned on the praises of Israel.
    In you our ancestors trusted;
        they trusted, and you delivered them.
    To you they cried, and were saved;
        in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.
    But I am a worm, and not human;
        scorned by others, and despised by the people.
    All who see me mock at me;
        they make mouths at me, they shake their heads;
    “Commit your cause to the Lord; let him deliver—
        let him rescue the one in whom he delights!”
    Yet it was you who took me from the womb;
        you kept me safe on my mother’s breast.
    10 On you I was cast from my birth,
        and since my mother bore me you have been my God.
    11 Do not be far from me,
        for trouble is near
        and there is no one to help.
    12 Many bulls encircle me,
        strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
    13 they open wide their mouths at me,
        like a ravening and roaring lion.
    14 I am poured out like water,
        and all my bones are out of joint;
    my heart is like wax;
        it is melted within my breast;
    15 my mouth[a] is dried up like a potsherd,
        and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
        you lay me in the dust of death.
    16 For dogs are all around me;
        a company of evildoers encircles me.
    My hands and feet have shriveled;[b]
    17 I can count all my bones.
    They stare and gloat over me;
    18 they divide my clothes among themselves,
        and for my clothing they cast lots.
    19 But you, O Lord, do not be far away!
        O my help, come quickly to my aid!
    20 Deliver my soul from the sword,
        my life[c] from the power of the dog!
    21     Save me from the mouth of the lion!
    From the horns of the wild oxen you have rescued[d] me.
    22 I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters;[e]
        in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:
    23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
        All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him;
        stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!
    24 For he did not despise or abhor
        the affliction of the afflicted;
    he did not hide his face from me,[f]
        but heard when I[g] cried to him.
    25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
        my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
    26 The poor[h] shall eat and be satisfied;
        those who seek him shall praise the Lord.
        May your hearts live forever!
    27 All the ends of the earth shall remember
        and turn to the Lord;
    and all the families of the nations
        shall worship before him.[i]
    28 For dominion belongs to the Lord,
        and he rules over the nations.
    29 To him,[j] indeed, shall all who sleep in[k] the earth bow down;
        before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,
        and I shall live for him.[l]
    30 Posterity will serve him;
        future generations will be told about the Lord,
    31 and[m] proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn,
        saying that he has done it.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Philemon help

    Philemon help? Here is (from syllabus) the instructions on the Philemon paper. Read carefully, then read below for extra help. Rem...